Gigi made some fantastic, easy sweet potato dumplings.
For the people outside of the South who read my blog, other places typically refer to sweet potatoes as “yams,” the most common example being “candied yams.” However, the actual name for this food is “sweet potato,” as yams are a different species.
Sweet Potato Dumplings
What You Need:
- 1 container crescent rolls
- sweet potato rounds (from the freezer section or cooked and sliced; your preference
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 stick of margarine
- 1 tbs. cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
What You Do:
- Press out rolls and fill with sweet potatoes.
- Roll up.
- Cook sauce (first four ingred.) on simmer until it thickens.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Put rolls in casserole dish and pour sauce over.
- Cook at 350 until brown.
I ate these, you guessed it, with dark coffee. They’re actually interesting because the sauce is the sweetest part of it, and the sweet potatoes have just the right amount of sweetness in them.
What you waiting for? Carpe diem! Get out there and make this recipe and enjoy yourselves!