Memoirs of a Coffee House 9: The Phenomenon of Wired and My Life

09 Apr

Thus the days at Wired continued. They were, overall, some of the happiest days of my life.

The adjustment to ReWired wasn’t as difficult as I sometimes perceived it to be; it had a central location in Dothan and made for the perfect middle ground where everyone could hang out.

ReWired was a place to never be bored. If you went to the coffee house, you would, within the period of time that you were there, inevitably run into someone you knew; this functioned not unlike clockwork. This is the way that many of the patrons came to know each other better.

My maternal grandmother passed away in the autumn of 2004. The same day that my cousin called to inform me, I had been staying in Ozark and drove on to Dothan to go to Wired so I could tell Lily.

I walked into the coffee house, and it was virtually destroyed. A heavy storm had come through, the rain seeping in through the roof and pouring down in torrents; it was a repeat of the broken and smashed tiles from when we first moved into ReWired. The coincidence of my grandmother passing away and the coffee house’s temporary closing has always stuck in my mind.

At then end of Ramadan in 2004, many of the local Turkish families came to ReWired to celebrate. Ramadan is a holy month in the Muslim religion in which one fasts from sunrise to sunset. Children under the age of 13 and pregnant women are exempt from the fast.

The celebration saw a huge amount of food and a huge number of people coming to the coffee house, and we enjoyed ourselves. One particularly Turkish man with a booming voice explained to everyone what the holiday was and said a prayer over the food, and then we chowed down like it was nobody’s business.

The winter came, bringing with it one of my favorite foods ever- bread bowls. A bread bowl is a exactly what it sounds like, a large roll of bread that has been somewhat hollowed out and filled with soup. The two kinds of soup I can remember eating were cream of potato and one was perhaps cream of celery. I think there was also a cheese soup I tried. After eating the soup, one then eats the bowl as well, as it’s a now deliciously soup-soaked bread!

Christmas Eve came along, a delightful even when only a few patrons showed up, mostly adults, and we had a mini-wine-and-cheese party. Mostly I just ate the cheese and crackers, with some of the adults explaining to me the variation in the taste of wine. I’ve had wine and other alcohol before but can’t imagine one drinking it for the taste, much less paying a high dollar for that taste.

Later that same evening, I watched the Matrix on the TV, and then I finally came home.

The day after Christmas was equally as wonderful. Now more of the youth had returned, and I had a Santa’s-sleigh-amount of art supplies at my disposal. I sat, talking to Scottie and doing watercolors. Sephy came over to the table at one point and painted using the watercolors as well.

New Year’s rolled around, and I stayed at my apartment instead of going out to the show. It was cold outside, it was dark, and I had friends over. There was no need for me to leave my warm, happy, coziness for the sake of the cold weather.

In our next installment, we’ll discuss what exactly happened in the New Year, 2005!







Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: