Earle and I made our traditional trip to Publix on Friday night after taking a hiatus for some two weeks or so. The last dinner I made from Publix turned out to be delicious, and the one before that was slightly disastrous.
Last night, I did the absolute best I’ve ever done at Publix! Here’s what I bought:
- 1 large organic sweet onion- $1.11
- 1 container of Blue Cheese crumbles – $2.50
- 1 bag of shredded Italian 6 cheese mix- $2.99
- 1 pack of imitation Lobster meat- $2.99
- 2 boxes of Penne (on sale!)- $1.39
- Total: $11.97 (including tax)
We also bought a pint of milk, the exact amount needed to make the cheese sauce.
So, here’s what I did:
- I boiled 1 box of penne and added another 1/4 box to it. Unfortunately, I spilled that 1/4 of the box into the sink when draining it.
- I chopped the onion and sauteed it in butter until it began to caramelize, at which time I added the lobster meat. You can also use crab meat, and no matter what you use, I recommend using two packs instead of one.
- I removed the onion and lobster mix from the wok and then added 3 Tablespoons of butter and the pint of milk, heating it just below boiling, and then adding the blue cheese and the pack of Italian six cheese.
- After the sauce warmed and thickened with the melting cheese, I added the lobster and onions back to the mix, followed by the penne.
- The meal turned out to be pretty good after all was said and done, though it needed salt and pepper (but what doesn’t?)
- Also, I sprinkled bacon bits (the soy kind) on top of the mixture, too.
My apologies for the lack of pictures; for whatever reason, I just never got around to taking a picture of the food.
If you eat meat, this dish would be great with bacon in it; the bacon bits added a good flavor to it and tend to go with seafood.